Accelerate Virginia High-Impact Tutoring
Data indicates that school closures and interruptions brought about by the pandemic resulted in learning disruptions for many students statewide, making multi-year recovery and acceleration supports even more crucial. There is strong evidence that high-impact tutoring is one of the most effective ways to increase learning gains for students.
Virginia Learns is recruiting tutors to work one-on-one or in small groups with students who need extra help in reading or math. You can help accelerate a child’s learning progress and lay a foundation for future success. Accelerate Virginia is currently focused on students in most need of support in middle school reading and math. Virginia Learns will recruit and train volunteers to work with Virginia school divisions to match volunteers with individual students. Volunteers commit to:
- A background check at no cost to the volunteer.
- Training which can be done remotely at the volunteer’s convenience.
- One-to-one or in small group tutoring sessions (virtual or in-person), three times/week for 30 minutes each session, over 10-12 weeks (scheduled according to the volunteer’s availability).
- Using a high-impact, research-based model, volunteers help ensure that each student is known, supported, and academically on-track.
Qualified tutors include:
- Current educators
- Teacher education undergraduate and graduate candidates
- Higher education students
- Community members (must have a high school diploma or equivalent)
- High school students enrolled in Teachers for Tomorrow programs
Please fill out the information below or click here to start the tutor application process.